Monday, October 05, 2009

project major springclean : : the kitchen

So I planned for a little more than I could finish and after a whole day of organizing, I barely finished two of the four areas I meant to accomplish. What I did accomplish though, was thoroughly encouraging to see.


The HQ is a huge mess for now as you can see...

It's loaded with a bajillion things that I will need to get rid of soon.


I mean, look at the bajillion things that are starting to load up on my sell off/give away table...

Okay, except those baskets, which I intend to find good purposes for.
But still, the going has been great!



On to the report...
Before and Afters! :)


What a difference! :)

These tasks were mainly a big game of sorting, matching, and getting rid of all the chipped, discoloured and downright
ugly things that we have in our cabinet. Trust me, it wasn't easy though. I should definitely have taken a picture of the in-between when there was crockery all over the place! Thank goodness I found help with the sister. We rocked this project big time.


I unfortunately didn't take a before-picture of another two cabinets that I went through as well (you just have to imagine that they were stuffed full of tons of things), but the results are worth showing...

I feel so awesome now. 
I swear these before-and-after pictures are priceless.


Can't wait to get the pictures for freecycling/selling up too. 
I'm getting a bit nervous too as time is running out and the rest of the family will be home soon. I need to work faster! I need to squeeze out every bit of time as possible!




Random thoughts on the side:
I learned quite a lot of things today from the cleaning spree including...
  1. When the government fumigates the rubbish chutes to kill the insects, the insects don't die instantly. Instead, they get scared and, in their fear, the roaches and their younglings scurry to find every crack between your chute and the wall to get away from the fumes. They do eventually die though - resting peacefully in some area around the chute in your house.
  2. The peaceful dying of roaches and their younglings in one's house is annoying. But it's a lot more annoying when you actually have a cabinet built around the chute - meaning they could be resting peacefully in there for a long time till you find their carcasses...that have probably been there long enough for the ants to get at them. Sure, it's easier to clean up shells of dead insect bodies, but it's still gross.
  3. I've found out today that it's possible to have your thigh resting on a shell of a dead roach for a whole half hour without noticing it when you're really focused on organizing. 
  4. I've also found that it's not a pleasant experience to find out things like that half an hour later.
  5. Even worse, there's something very repulsive about getting tiny dried-up roach younglings under your fingernails. It does help to try to psyche yourself that the feeling is kinda the same as digging your fingers into sand and having the little sand bits stuck there..except that sand is not a blackish colour, and without legs..six tiny legs each. The reframing does help...the tiniest bit. But nothing's going to stop me from wearing gloves tomorrow.


    Who ever said cleaning was an easy job? Ants, nestings, carcasses of dead roaches and their younglings...I think I'm slowly developing a very high tolerance for all things gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment