Thursday, April 11, 2013

SPCG @home : plans, bills & finances

It's amazing how fast time has flown this past week! And already, half the week has passed and I have barely 4 days left to get everything in order before the parents come back. I have yet to draft out a solid plan for the next few days, though I really should tonight...

So far, the plans for this week has been as so:

  • Mon: Determine areas to be cleaned. Delegate.
  • Tue: 
    • C: Start on large drawers in the hall, do some administrative reorganization. 
    • Y: Start on master bedroom.
  • Wed: 
    • C: Administrative organization. File, sort, and send out those belonging to the siblings.
    • Y: Clear dining and kitchen areas.
  • Thu: 
    • C: Look into the large (see: superbly messy) drawers in the hall and clean them out. Go into master bedroom and clear shelves and drawers. 
    • Y: To clean out her room. Sort out what needs to be transferred to the office and what needs to be given away. Finish up kitchen area as far as she can.
  • Fri:
    • C: Continue clearing master bedroom, look into kitchen cabinets. Rope girls in to clear out closet and bathroom areas.
    • Y: Clear out pantry and refrigerator.
  • Sat:
    • C: Office reorganization, Assessment of paperwork - calculate costs of running the household, and other financial liabilities the family will need to discuss over family dinner next week. 
    • Y: Sort out loose ends
  • Sun: House needs to be prepped and ready for the parents to be back. All things to be donated out of the house (and gone forever).

It took me four hours to understand
& get all these sorted. Feeling very
proud of myself now. :)
As much as possible, I've cancelled every dinner event I might have had this week - just so that I can invest time into getting the house in order. Today's big accomplishment was that of clearing a HUGE stack of a disarray of documents. I spent a total of four hours just sorting through them all - credit card bills, utilities, investments, insurance, other finance things and the like - but the sense of accomplishment at the end of it was priceless. It felt so good just to put the post-it on a stack, and labeling "Dad's insurance" or "Mum's XXX bank statements". :) I think when it comes to organization, my love language is that of service - of which I thoroughly enjoy.

Getting all the bills in order also made me think a lot about how important it is to get the family educated in some way about accounts & finance, insurance, law, and other topics in which I think would be beneficial for them to at least have basic knowledge of. Thing is, I have to start first.

Springcleaning the financial aspects of the family obviously requires a lot of equipping and understanding of specific concepts of how the world works with regards to money, insurance, and other finance-related topics. So far, I've been listening to a iTunesU Course on managing personal finance, and been listening to the audiobook on "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" (which is by far one of the best books chocked full of wisdom that I've ever read, or "read" thus far). The information that I have gleaned thus far has been enough to propel me into new perspectives which has made quite a few changes to the way I live, and see things. The question, however, is, "How am I going to communicate the importance of financial literacy to the family without stepping on anyone's toes?"

I'm considering purchasing Robert Kiyosaki's "Cash Flow" game and playing it with the family on Tuesday - perhaps that will help communicate the message better. Also cause I think it'd be an asset - considering that I expect the ROIs from the investment to bring savings within the first 3 days of understanding the concepts behind the game.

Exciting times are ahead, and I can't wait!
It's amazing how much a little springcleaning can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment